It’s a plain fact that converting more of your existing visitors into customers is a much easier and cost efficient way to increasing revenue than obtaining more traffic. To put this in even crisper focus, getting a 1 percent rise in traffic is worth far less than a 1 percent increase in conversion rates across the board. Far less!
In 2014 it should be a goal to not only increase traffic to our sites, but also to do a better job of converting those who do make an appearance. I’d take a 1 percent rise in conversion over a 1 percent increase in traffic every day!
5 Ways to win with conversion rate optimization
- One page serves one purpose - Having a single, clear purpose each and every page will serve to make not just your conversions better, but in addition your search engine rankings. Don’t clutter your pages with extraneous links, and banners that detract from the primary goal of the page.
- Optimize all of your funnel - Conversion rate optimization also includes any content or page that is part of your marketing message. Meaning your emails, landing and squeeze pages, social media pages and more. Everything has to be working in concert to send a clear, unified sales message.
- Check your site speed - A slow loading page is the number one reason people will leave your site. Additionally, it can contribute (negatively) to your search engine rankings, as a high bounce rate is a part of the Google search algorithm. If you want help determining where your problems lie in this area, try YSlow.
- Content and conversions go hand in hand! - Seems like everybody is looking at a content initiative right now, and that’s a positive thing, but only if you do it with the idea of improving your conversions at the same time. Optimize all of the content you publish for conversions, and keep it all in step with your primary conversion goals.
- Test and test again! - Even a tiny percentage gain in conversion rates can result in a significant monetary difference. Make it a part of the process to test all elements of your sales and conversion process. This can and will lead to more profits and a more prosperous 2014!